Thursday, December 13, 2012

Is Prevent (accent on the second syllable) the actual human season?  Whatever time of year it is?  Advent:  Holy season of anticipation, expectation, awe, wonder, surprise, "Now to him who is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine ... " (Ephesians 3:20, NRSV).  Prevent:  Doubt, dread, resistance, procrastination, hindrance, "And he Jesus was amazed at their unbelief" (Mark 6:6).

This week I have felt disheartened by Prevent responses that I've encountered.  "I can tell you right now that I won't ... "  "That would be the worst ... "  "She always ..."  "He won't ... " 
Good Lord deliver us from our sweeping generalizations and preventations.

And our Good Lord does!  Always!  "And the angel said to her, ... nothing will be impossible with God (Luke 2:37).

May I continue to be Advent-tageous and sing with my ancestor and sister, Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word (Luke 2:38).

1 comment:

  1. The "Prevents" are exhausting. And, discouraging. And, so much about refusing risk and "call." I once heard someone say, "I wonder how many women God, angel, asked before one said yes to the birth?"...and that yes changed the world. So maybe it is not just refusing risk, or managing exhaustion, but also fear of change.

    Advent, dear God, prevent us from being in our own way. Prevent us from preventing you to manifest in the world and our lives.

    ReplyDelete